Monday, March 16, 2009

[Review] Platinum 9 Disc






So I got my hands on a copy of Morning Musume's newest album, Platinum 9 Disc.

As is customary, in a few moments I will press the 'PLAY' button on my iTunes playlist, and type out my thoughts of the songs as they occur to me while listening to it for the first time. Well, I lie. I've listened to a few songs already, of course.

Knowing me, my opinions will probably change in a few days, but it's always fun to get a stressed out teen's thoughts on a new album, isn't it?


First a few thoughts on the album cover.

The dresses are pretty, very much like the Pepper Keibu outfits, and the kira-kira sparkly effects are kinda cute.

Now that hair.

They did a good job with the leads, like Tanaka and Takahashi and Gaki, but look at the pandas...! Junjun's is so rushed, and Linlin looks better with short hair, I think. Mittsi's isn't so bad, it reminds me of when she had that lovely long hair, but still.

Oh well. The dresses make up for it, I think. ;D Better than some of their covers, I think. *coughcough*Sexy 8 Beat *coughcough*

Koha and Gaki win the best expressions. ;D They both look amazingly gorgeous.


Now onto the reviews!


Songs

I like the piano instrumental at the beginning. But then it transforms into this opening that reminds me of the music from Four Minutes (by Madonna and Justin Timberlake). But once you get past that part, the song is cool. Every album needs a funky, good dance song. And with some cheesy techno effects and a nice beat, I think this fills that role nicely. However, it's very Reina-centric, with a few solos by other members. Junjun's solo is great, and Linlin rocks her part (like always). It's growing on me~

Resonant Blue

Ah, Resonant Blue. I hate to listen to it, yet I love to sing it. It's a love-hate relationship. But that's old news.

Ame no Furanai Hoshi de wa Aisenai Darou

An alternative version of Ame no Furanai? The first version most of us heard had solos done by most of the usual members, with badass solos by the pandas to knock you out of your seat. But this is the version performed in concerts, with everyone singing until the Chinese lines. (It reminds me of the IceCream Musume version, actually). I like it better with the solos; it's more peaceful. But with updated JunLin solos, it sounds great! (I hate Tsunku's voice in this, though)

Take Off is Now!

I. Love. This. Song.

If it were in English, it could probably be a hit in America. Gaki and Takahashi and Tanaka are awesome! Watching the concert performance, the dance is cool, too. This is one of those songs that you can't help but dance to when you hear it. I'm probably going to have it stuck in my head for a long, long time.

Naichau Kamo

I really like this song. I've dubbed it so many times I'm a little tired of it, but I really do like it. (Yowamushi was kickass) Sayumi's solos should have been taken by one of the 8th gen.


Watashi no Miryoku ni Kizukanai Donkan na Hito


It's been a while since we last heard Aika sing, especially since she's been getting the short end of the stick lately when it comes to line distribution. (I mean, come on. You've been in the group longer than Linlin or Junjun, and they have you beat) But to tell you the truth, I really don't care for her voice all that much. I'm just waiting for the voice that wowed me in Egao YES Nude, but I know that it's never going to come back. Aika really needs to work on her vocals. She isn't progressing; she's regressing.

The song itself? Like something from a cheap anime. I don't like it all that much.


Guru Guru JUMP

Ah, the endless energy of Koharu and Linlin, with the neverending stream of cuteness from Junjun. Again, I heard this during a concert, but I really like it. Junjun sounds so cute. x3 And it really suits Koha and Linlin. But do you know what bothers me? The chorus sounds A LOT like Bokura ga Ikiru My Asia. Seriously. When it gets to the part, "GURU GURU toma wa/Aa dou ii tobete yo" it sounds JUST LIKE "fushigi na miwaku MY ASIA bokura ga ikiru MY ASIA".


Mikan

Mikan. It's cute, and it sounds weird to me to be on an album. xD It seems like such an old song.


Jounetsu no Kiss o Hitotsu

Is this the B-side to Take Off Is Now? xD I like it. If you paired the two songs onto a CD, it probably would be one of my favorite singles. xDD It's peaceful but has strong vocals from all three (Gaki FTW) and I have a strong urge to dub it... >.>


It's You

This ruined the album for me, thank you very much. I hate, hate, hate, hate Sayu's voice and the song itself is very late-80's/early-90's hip-hop, and it really bugs me. I don't think even Gaki could have saved this song.


Onna ni Sachi Are

After my post-It's You-depression, this brought me up again. ;D The first song featuring the current line-up, it always cheers me up, despite pretty unhappy lyrics. xD


Kataomoi no Owari ni

HELL YES. Kamei has been deserving of a good solo song for some time now (Namida ga Tomaranai Houkago just isn't working anymore) and this fits her perfectly. It shows off her cute, soft, endearing little voice, and it suits her personality, I think. No one but Kamei Eri could have sung this. I love it to pieces. It makes me feel happy, and that's all I ask for in a song. ;D Good job, Tsunku.


Kanashimi Twilight

And the album ends with a bit of a "huh?" moment. 'Kanashimi Twilight featured Fujimoto Miki and Yoshizawa Hitomi, didn't it, but how come Yossie and Mikitty aren't on the cover?' It's a great song, but it does bring back feelings that many fans shared when the two graduated. Oh well. It's badass, and no matter how hard Takahashi may try in concerts, no one can rock Yossie's solo like she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment